Every country has its own laws concerning entering and staying in the country. When planning your travel abroad will need a visa issued by the embassy of the country you wish to visit. You should familiarize yourself with the laws of Mexico, the United States and Canada so that you will be able to comply with them.

Entering the United States

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative will require all travelers, including U.S. citizens, going to and from Mexico, Visas Needed To Enter Mexico And The U.S.the Caribbean, and Bermuda to have a passport, a passport card, a Frequent Traveler card (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST), Enhanced Driver's License (for residents in states that issue them) or Military ID with travel orders or another accepted documents that establishes the bearer’s identity and nationality and which will allows them to enter and exit the United States. This requirement is for all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel.

Before traveling to the U.S., a citizen of a foreign country must obtain a nonimmigrant visa for temporary stay or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. The type of visa you will need is based on the purpose of your travel.

Entering Mexico

Visas required to enter Mexico are called “Forma Migratoria” which means Migratory Form. The three most common visas are the FMT, the FM3 and the FM2.

The FMT is a temporary visa that allows a maximum stay of 180 days. If you are traveling by airplane or cruise ship this form is given to you to fill out before in arrive in Mexico. It should be presented with your passport to the Mexican cVisas Needed To Enter Mexico And The U.S.ustoms official when you enter the country.

When driving into Mexico you can obtain your FMT at the border by going to the Immigration official that has an office right there. There is a fee of about $25 USD that you will have to pay.

If you’re planning on staying in Mexico for a long period of time you must have an FM3 visa which can be obtained from the Mexican Consulate either in your country or in Mexico. This will allow you to stay in Mexico for one year and can be renewed each year. The FM3 visa will either be a work visa if you plan on working in Mexico or a non-working visa if you are not planning on working there.

An FM2 visa is obtained if your desire is to become a Mexican citizen. The authorization for an FM2 visa is for a period of one year, renewable for three additional years with the possibility of acquiring resident status after the fourth year.

The current fees for the FM2 and the FM3 visas need to be obtained from the Mexican Consulate.