Description: Moving your Personal Property into MexicoMoving your personal property into Mexico is not complicated. You have the one time right to bring your household belongings with you at no cost.

You will need to have either an FMT (temporary tourist card) that is valid up to 180 days, or FM3 (one year visa), or FM2 (permanent residence visa) to bring your belongings with you into Mexico without paying taxes.

You can bring new or used consumer goods necessary for your personal use and not in quantities that would appear to be for re-sale.

This is a very easy process; you only need to follow some requirements to do it. The first step is packing your household goods in boxes, numbering them and make a list describing the items in the box.

Then you need to go to the Mexican consulate and fill out the form to get your “menaje de casa”.

When you are done with the Mexican Consulate, you will need to work with a custom agent to determine the value of your belongings and to help you through the process with the Mexican customs. Some moving companies in Mexico are connected with custom agents and this might help you through a fast an easy moving process.

Here the requirements from the consulate:

1. Original FM3 and one photocopy

2. Typewritten list describing belongings

3. All electrical appliances, such as refrigerators, dishwashers, televisions, etc. must have the brand and serial number included.

Make it as brief as possible, for example:

1 Refrigerator Admiral Brand 1999 model number 45637

1 Dishwasher General Electric year 2003 serial number S34567

1 Television Admiral Year 2005, serial number 45678

Box 1 to 5 Dishes and china

Box 6 Men’s clothing

Box 7 to 10 Woman’s clothing

Box 11 to 20 Books

Box 21 Kitchen utensils

1 Dining room set 6 pieces, 1 table and 5 chairs

1 Kitchen table with 4 chairs

1 Sofa and 3 chairs

1 Bedroom set, bed, mattress and 2 night tables.

4. The list must be submitted with no spaces in between the lines

5. The list must be presented with the original form and 3 copies

6. On the list you must provide your address in the USA and the address in where you will reside in Mexico.

7. Cost is $127.00 dollars.

Very Important -

Applications are accepted between 8:00 A.M. till 12:00 P.M. Monday through Friday. Once the document is accepted you have to wait 24 hours until you can pick up your permit.

You can also visit the Mexican embassy website and click in consular services for a directory: